Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Haikus through Hebrews

So the thing that finally convinced me to follow my husband's advice and begin a blog was my recently piqued interest in haikus.  If you know me well, then you know how much I like things to be linear (e.g. grammar, math, sewing in straight lines, etc.).  This is not necessarily a good thing.  Anyhow, I cannot resist a good haiku for its organized and contained form, so instead of bombing my friends' facebook feeds with incessant haikus, they will henceforth be posted here (mostly).  I hope you will enjoy a haiku or two through Hebrews with me, hearing amazing truths in a slightly different format.  I pray that the Spirit will speak truth to your heart through this feeble attempt, and that He will cover over any errors made. (By the way, I am aware that these are not all in following with the strictest definitions of a haiku, but I digress).  To God alone be the glory.

*Important Note: Please read through the whole of Hebrews (I recommend the English Standard Version or New American Standard Bible) for contextual significance (even significant context!).  There is a lot of Scriptural meat found outside these 17 syllables. 

1:1
God spoke long ago
To the fathers by prophets
In various ways

1:2
But in these last days
God has spoken to us in
His Son, appointed

1:2 (continued)
By God heir of all
Things, through whom He made the world
And the universe

1:3
The Son radiates
God's glory, the image of
His exact nature

1:3 (continued)
And he upholds and
Sustains the universe by
His powerful word

1:3 (continued)
Purification
For sins complete, he sat at
Majesty's right hand

1:4
Greater than angels
His inheritance obtained
Is more excellent

1:5
For to which angel
Did God ever say, "You are
My Son, today I

1:5 (continued)
"Have begotten you"?
Or, "I will be a father to
Him and he my son"?

1:6
Bringing the firstborn
Into the world, He says, "Let
Angels worship him."

1:7
Of the angels said,
"He makes them winds.  He makes his
Servants flames of fire."

1:8
To the Son He says,
"Your throne endures forever
Justice your scepter"

1:9
"Righteousness you loved
Iniquity you hated
Anointed gladness"

1:10
"In the beginning
Foundations you laid, crafting
Heavens with your hands"

1:11
"The earth will perish
But you remain forever
All wears out like clothes"

1:12 (continued)
"Roll them up like robes
Like a garment discarded
Heaven and earth changed."

1:12
"Always you're the same
And your years will have no end
You live forever."

1:13
"Sit at my right hand
I make your enemies a
Footstool for your feet."

1:14
Minister spirits
Sent to serve those who shall be
Heirs of salvation

No comments:

Post a Comment